Friday, October 19, 2012

Fruit Cozies






Well, that didn't take very long???

My hands have to do something...
I created these cute little fruit cozies from a pattern designed by Michael's craft stores. Here's the link. The pattern is designed for very tiny apples. So of course I had to tweak it a little bit.

These were created for some friends of mine. They are filled with lovely apples from our own fruit tree growing in the backyard. The apples this year were whoppers! So the cozies are a little more generously sized. They ended up being about 6 inches tall by 5 inches wide.

I added extra rows to the top to give them some more structure. The original pattern was too small for my taste. I wanted the cozies to be more "bag"-like. Why have the handles if you can't carry them? The little "leaves" are a pull cord designed to close the tops if you happen to have a smaller fruit inside. Very handy and very cute!

The "kawaii" (Japanese for cute) faces are my addition as well. The eyes and cheeks are tiny circles of felt glued on with craft glue. The smiles are embroidered on. One of the cozies doesn't have a face because it will belong to a senior friend of mine. She doesn't want the cutesy face, but the others do. The pink one was my prototype and it belongs to Skylar. It's a strawberry, not an apple. She has used it a number of times in her lunch box to protect her fruit from bumps and bruises. And her friends love it too!

I would also like to try the knit version of this pattern, but am a little wary of the stretchyness of it all. My apples are heavy. Crochet to the rescue!

Enjoy!

~S

1 comment:

  1. Too stinkin' cute! I love that- fruit cozies!

    ReplyDelete