The Honeycomb Blanket




I usually don't like starting a project without an end goal in mind. 
It leaves me feeling scattered instead of focused. But, this time it's different.

This is the beginning of  "The Honeycomb Blanket". 

It started with a desire to create a crocheted blanket using a hexagon motif that would bust my stash of yarn ends. It then moved into a belief that I had no idea what I was going to do with all those hexagons when I had finished the stash yarn. After wondering what I wanted to do and not coming up with anything, I stopped for a while. I needed a plan before moving forward.

Vanishing-of-the-bees.jpg
Wikipedia
Recently I watched this documentary on the epidemic striking the honey bee. They are leaving their hives en masse and never returning. No one knows why. Scientists are calling it "Colony Collapse Disorder" and it is troubling. These bees are telling us something...

So, I found my plan. A tribute to the humble, hard working honeybee.

Each hexagon cluster symbolizes a grouping of honeycomb. The surrounding "comb" centers radiate a colorful energy outward to the world, the center "comb" remaining neutral and at peace. A symbolic prayer that God may grant us another chance with these creatures if we respect their contribution to our world and allow them to have peace.

Another sweet blanket idea surrounding bees is the Beekeeper's Quilt designed by tiny owl knits. Oh how I love this quilt! I just have too much on my plate to take this on right now, but it's in the "queue".

Courtesy of tiny owl knits
I love all the tiny puffs! It reminds me of a Yo-yo quilt! Ooooo I love those too! I have a yo-yo maker...

But, I digress...

I'll keep you updated on the progress of the Honeycomb Blanket.

It's sure to be the bee's knees. 

~ Amimommy

Comments

Popular Posts